Wednesday 21 November 2007

W.I















Every year, about six or seven weeks before Christmas, the women of the village meet once a week to make small craft objects to sell at the Christmas fete which is held on the last Sunday before Christmas.

A note was put in my letter box that I should bring a pair of scissors and a paintbrush. So, I arrived with about 8 or 9 other women, at the Marie, all clutching our scissors and paintbrushes.
The President of this little group, explained the the craft for this session was to cut out a picture from a paper seviette and to glue this onto a pre-painted slate. So we set to work, cutting and sticking, and after three hours we had decorated 14 slates.

I enquired to the President, how much she would charge for each slate. I think, 2 euros, was the reply. I started to think about profitability..then stopped, this wasn't about profitability, it was about meeting, talking and exchanging gossip and if at the same time we could make a little money for the Commune, where's the harm. At least we didn't sing Jerusalem !!..

No comments: