Thursday 20 December 2007

Christmas cake fascination

The Christmas cakes were a success. One woman telephoned a couple of days ago and asked me if a Christmas cake would keep until New Year. Easily, I replied. She was not convinced, ' Are you sure it won't go bad ?', she again asked.
I then explained that a tradition in the UK, was to keep the top layer of the wedding cake, which is the same as a Christmas cake until the Christening of the first child.
She laughed and said that even a Christmas cake wouldn't of waited for her sister, Isabelles' first child.. it took her fifteen years !!!..
The news of the longevity of the Christmas cake has obviously spread as yesterday evening I received a telephone call from another woman who asked, I bought a Bakewell Tart last Sunday, as this is an English cake, will this keep until the New Year ? !!

No comments: