Wednesday 29 February 2012

The latest etiquette error.

Waiting to pick Iona and Joe up from school. I noticed that another mum had had her hair cut, coloured and highlighted. ‘Your hair looks great.’ I said.
‘Thanks’, she replied.
Another mother agreed, ‘It suits you, how much did it cost?’
‘€50.’
There were then mutters which seemed to acknowledge that this was a fair price.

I am no longer surprised by the forthrightness of the French when it comes to money. The British just don’t discuss money whereas the French are quite happy to discuss their own financial status and are very keen to know everyone else’s !!

I have been asked how much we bought our house for, my salary when I was working in London and what we earn now. There are no secrets !!..

I am also getting used to this line of questioning, it isn’t really nosiness just a line of conversation. However, it has caused me to make a pretty bit English etiquette error….

Whilst in the UK recently, I met up with my brother and his wife. My sister-in-law was telling me about her new job. Without thinking, I said, ‘How much do you earn now?’
A stunned silence followed….

No comments: