Sunday 25 March 2012

French. An impossible language.

I am truly on the verge of giving up, packing my bags, taking the first boat the Portsmouth so the I can speak a logical language!!….. How can I possibly master a language where these two sentences have the same meaning :-

Le gateau que Jean mange est au chocolat.                 The cake that Jean eats is chocolate
Le gateau que mange Jean est au chocolat.                 The cake that eats Jean is chocolate.

I guess I need to get my French Grammaire books out…. It is apparently all to do with Les relatifs…

1 comment:

Ksam said...

If it makes you feel better, those two sentences actually DO mean the same thing, ie it's two different ways to say that Jean is eating a chocolate cake.

In order for it to be "the cake that eats Jean is chocolate", there would need to be a qui in place of the que, ie Le gateau qui mange Jean est au chocolat.