Monday 14 January 2008

A Midday Lunch ?

The church bell rings at midday, and we all stop for lunch. Everyone stops for lunch at midday. There are no staggered lunch breaks. Offices and shops close for two hours at midday for lunch.

This part of the French culture has crept up on me over the last four years, and at first I struggled and even fought against having lunch at the same time as everyone else. I would make my husband a packed lunch, even though he worked only 20 minutes away, and I would sometimes eat my lunch at 11.30, and sometimes at 2.00pm but NEVER at midday. But slowly it has taken hold of me and now I positively enjoy our family lunches.

My husband now always comes home from work and our children from school at midday and when the church bell rings we, like everyone else have a proper hot meal. Now, I would feel cheated if I had to hurry my way through a Pret a Manger sandwich at my desk !!

No comments: