Thursday 17 May 2012

Labelled as Les Anglais. Offensive?

We will always be known as ‘Les Anglais.’

If we book a table in a restaurant, order something from a shop or make an appointment with dentist we  rarely have to give our name. We are ‘Les Anglais’.

Yesterday, I was asking about a kettle and the shop assistant shouted to her collegue,’ L’anglaise wants the Phillips kettle, do we have one?’

Just further proof that however much I try to improve my pronounciation I will never be able to hide my English accent!!

At this point I smile, as everyone looks at the ‘l’anglaise’ wanting to buy a kettle.

I feel I should be offended by this label, is it similar to a sexist remark?

But, I am not in the slightest bit upset, amused, yes, but not offended.

I guess, like any remark, it is usually HOW it is said, and I have never been referred to as l’anglaise in a nasty way.

No comments: