Friday 1 June 2012

The village is now in full swing organising the Summer fete.

An emergency meeting was called yesterday evening to discuss the first prize in the tombola.

First prize in the tombola is a live sheep. A couple of weeks ago the presidente of the Summer fete Association distributed sheets of tombola tickets for us to sell… so if anyone wants a tombola ticket to win a sheep please let me know !!!… not sure how Brittany ferries will deal with a sheep in your boot though !!…

Anyway, there have been lots of questions regarding this sheep… is it a lamb or a sheep? (When does a lamb become a sheep?)… I have kept very quiet during the farmers’ wives debates as my livestock knowledge is VERY limited !!.

Suffice to say, tombola ticket sales have been lost as we don’t know the exact age of the mouton/agneau.

To resolve this problem, the presidente arranged a meeting with the farmer, who is selling a sheep/lamb to the Association. At 8.00 pm we all trooped up to his farm and he proudly showed us his sheep. He pointed out the one that he would be selling to us. It was born in March…. so does that make it a lamb or a sheep… I am still none the wiser. The other women, all farmers’ wives nodded knowledgeably.

The second prize are two lapineau (baby rabbits), the third prize are three poussin (baby chickens).

At the last meeting I questionned the decision to have all live animal prizes as some people live in towns or may not have the knowledge (me !!) to look after a sheep. Nine women looked at me incrediously, ‘Mais Nicole, un mouton est super, tout le monde veut gangner un mouton.’  I have a lot to learn about country living.

Well, my questioning must have triggered something as the forth prize is a suitcase !!.

No comments: