Friday 5 February 2016

Wood a major heat source in Brittany


French chimneys smoking!
Right now, if I were to drive through any village or housing estate I would see chimneys smoking.
I can only speak for rural Brittany but I think more than 80% of the houses are heated by wood. Houses currently being constructed are still built with chimneys and wood burning stoves will be used to heat these homes. I wonder why? There are still a lot of woods and forests in Brittany but the price of wood is increasing which must indicate that the supply is being squeezed. I would like to know the cost comparisons of heating a house with wood and with oil fired central heating. With falling oil prices, I am guessing that the oil option may be cheaper but there you have a pretty expensive set up costs with a boiler and radiators compared with just a wood burning stove.
I am not even sure that other methods of heating are even considered. To heat by wood is to all the French the most natural way to heat your house. It is cultural. They have always kept themselves warm using wood and they will continue to do so.
It is true, nothing can compare to the warmth and smell generated by a fire. Something we see as a luxury the French just see as part of their way of life.

No comments: