Saturday 11 March 2017

When a Frenchman collides with a deer



8.00am on Saturday morning.  Jean Pierre has just called.

‘Is Mark there?, I have just collided with a deer and I need his help?’

‘Are you OK?’ I ask

‘Fine, I am waiting for the gendarmerie but I need some help to get the deer into the boot of my car.’

Now, if I had collided with a deer, the last thing on my mind would be how I could transport it home.

French law states that if you collide with a wild animal you are entitled to keep the carcass but you can’t sell it. Whereas in the UK you loose your no claims bonus after colliding with an animal, in France you don’t as long as you report it to the gendarmerie.

I didn’t ask what Jean Pierre intended to do with the deer once he got it home, aren’t there laws about home butchery?… some times it is best just NOT to know!

No comments: