Monday 10 September 2007

Tree felling




It is about this time of year that you can hear the continual hum of a chainsaw. It appears that every family in France owns a chainsaw. The French are besotted with wood. So not wanting to miss out, we have today felled a huge pine tree. The scent of burning pine in the early morning September mist was quite incredible...but I have other things on my mind...

A decision that I have been mulling over for the last three months is just about to come to a head. Should I, or should I not volunteer to become part of the Parent Teachers Association ?. We have two children (aged 4 and 6), the eldest whom has been going to the local village school for four years.
My french is slowly improving but is not up to the complex political issues that naturally occur between parents and teachers...maybe this is a positive thing ?.
The education of our children is important and if I can help to support the school I am more than willing to do so.
But do I have, as a newcomer (and English) to this very rural community, the right to become part of this potentially volatile organisation, or would they (the other parents and teachers) appreciate my support ?..
The rentree meeting, obligatory for all parents is being held at 8.00pm on Friday, and it is at this meeting I have to decide whether to volunteer or to remain firmly in the background...

No comments: