Thursday 27 September 2007

The Insurance Man

We have known our ‘Insurance Man’ for 8 or 9 years now and he has our trust and respect.

He has advised us well on our business and public liability insurances and the policies for our four gites, visiting them all to ensure that we are adequately insured.

Today, he arrived, having driven the 12km from our local town. ‘Is Monsieur here’, he asked. ‘No’, I reply, ‘He is at work, can I help’.

He shifts from one foot to the other. ‘You have overpaid your home insurance by 12 euros, and I have a cheque for you for the overpayment’.

‘Ah bon’, I reply, holding out my hand to take the cheque he is now very uncomfortably holding.

‘I can only give the cheque to Monsieur’ the Insurance Man explains.

I give a wry smile, the house is in my name, the cheque has been made payable to me.

‘Perhaps I can give the cheque to Monsieur’ I offer, now feeling very sorry for him.

‘No, I’m sorry’ he says still clutching the cheque in the sum of 12 euros, and he is soon gone cheerily waving from his small white car !!

No comments: