Tuesday 11 March 2008

School Dinners

9.15am. The school cook phones in sick.. could I make the desert and be at the canteen by 10.30 with another mother to help prepare the starter and the main meal.

Aaaah..my recollection of school dinners are spam fritters and very lumpy rice pudding.

By 10.30am I had made 80 profiteroles..thankfully our guests in the gite next door had left at 9.00 so I was able to use two ovens !!..so armed with my still very warm choux pastries, the chantilly cream and chocolate sauce I made my way to the canteen.

The canteen kitchen has just a fridge, oven and a dishwasher, there is not a microwave or chip fryer to be seen.

Quiches were made, vegetables prepared, Chicken Cordon Bleus assembled and the tables laid.

By 12.00 we were ready. I was amazed how much these children ate.. quiche to start, then chicken and vegetables, then a choice of brie camembert or emmental, then an apple or banana (compulsory) and then two profiteroles.

At 1.15 the children were putting on their coats to walk back to school.

Once again, I felt extremely pleased to be involved and in the thick of it all…I do hope the school cook is better tomorrow !!

No comments: