Thursday 10 April 2008

Disappearing Bread


I make three loaves of bread a week, use one immediately and freeze the other two. Yesterday evening I took a loaf out of the freezer and left it on the table to defrost overnight for breakfast this morning.

This morning… something has eaten my bread !.. and it wasn’t a mouse. Living in a stone house in the middle of the country we do get a few mice from time to time, but a mouse couldn’t climb a table leg.

When my husband came down to breakfast, I was armed with a huge roll of duct tape sealing every hole and crack. The small holes in the plasterboard around the water pipe and waste pipes leading to and from the sink, washing machine and dishwasher. The fridge was in the middle of the kitchen, perhaps the creature was hiding behind the fridge. It is possible !!.

Why are men much more relaxed about sharing their homes and their food with mice and OTHER creatures and yet the very thought sends women into a frantic frenzy ?

Just to be sure that we are not ‘invaded’ again and to satisfy my curiosity, I have this morning bought a humane trap, baited it with some more home made bread and I have put it next to the largest hole, which I have left untapped. Now we wait…..

No comments: