Monday 7 April 2008

Monsieur Martin

A knock at the door. As I open the door a couple in their sixties beam at me.

‘Bonjour’, they say, ‘Are you the owner of this house?, the man continues, I used to come here every summer as a child, the house used to belong to my Uncle, Monsieur Martin. We live in Cannes now but we are holidaying in Brittany at the moment. I wonder, could I take a photo of the engraved stone fireplace..I remember it surrounded by cows when I was about 6 years old.’

I explain that we bought the house from Monsieur Martin about 10 years ago and at that time our whole house was a cow shed with earth floors, no electrics or water.

I usher them both into our lounge, where he takes a photo of the stone fireplace (minus the cows this time !!) and he promises to send me a copy of the photo of him and the cows next to the fireplace.

Ten minutes later they have gone but promise to return again next time they visit Brittany.

No comments: