Monday 3 February 2014

Oh help… we have Bin Trouble

About an hour ago as I was taking Joe to school I passed the mayor driving into our hamlet… he could not be passing through as we live in a dead end road.

Ten minutes later, I returned home. The mayor was in the road outside our house with two suited men. Help, we don’t see many suits in rural Brittany !!

Our next door neighbour appeared and entered into the rather heated debate with the mayor.
By now, I had parked the car and was trying to inconspicuously get out of the car and into the front door…..

‘Madame Harrington.’

‘Bonjour Monsieur Le Maire.’

I walk over to join the suited men, the mayor and our red faced neighbour. Lots of hand shaking and out of the corner of my eye I see the Eloise, another neighbour approaching. After the formalities, bonjours and more handshaking she is off… aahhhh now I understand the problem. Bins. Where should the bin collection point be.

I had no idea that this could be such a controversial issue… but believe me it is.

Last year all of our communal bins were replaced by individual land fill and recycling wheelie bins.


We have to agree a hamlet bin collection point. After an hour of haggling my two neighbours eventually agree where we will put our bins on a Wednesday morning and one of the suited men marks the spot with green spray paint so there can be no doubt.


The much haggled over wheelie bin spot.

Feeling a bit sorry for the suited men as they head off to resolve another wheelie bin collection spot dispute.

No comments: